Background

Hello everyone! My name is Harry, the creator of this blog. I started this blog in high school my senior year during one of my culinary classes. All the recipes dating before September 2013 are from my high school culinary classes. All of those recipes I changed around both the ingredients, adding and removing some, and amounts, increasing or decreasing, to make them my own recipe. Most of the pictures are of the dishes I made, some I forgot to take a picture of and are pictures from online that resemble the dish. Recipes that date from September 2013 onward are from my time at Johnson and Wales University, were I am studying culinary arts. Currently I am a freshman there, and the recipes are ones I made throughout my classes. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Bechamel Sauce

One of the mother sauces, this is a great addition to any vegetable dish, meat dish, or even pasta if you want it. It is a good white sauce that compliments many dishes.

Ingredients:
              1 gallon milk
              1 onion, piquet
              6 ounces clarified butter
              6 ounces flour, sifted
              Salt to taste
              Black pepper to taste
              1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1. Gather all ingredients and equipment

2. In a saucepan, heat the milk with the onion piquet and simmer for 10 minutes

3. In another saucepan heat the clarified butter

4. Gradually add the flour to the butter to make a roux. Using a wooden spoon, mix thoroughly, and cook it approximately 5 to 6 minutes to make a white roux. Remove from the heat and cool slightly

5. Remove the onion piquet from the milk

6. Temper the milk into the roux by gradually adding the hot milk, whisking constantly. Heat to a boil; reduce to a simmer

7. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg

No comments:

Post a Comment