Background

Hello everyone! My name is Harry, the creator of this blog. I started this blog in high school my senior year during one of my culinary classes. All the recipes dating before September 2013 are from my high school culinary classes. All of those recipes I changed around both the ingredients, adding and removing some, and amounts, increasing or decreasing, to make them my own recipe. Most of the pictures are of the dishes I made, some I forgot to take a picture of and are pictures from online that resemble the dish. Recipes that date from September 2013 onward are from my time at Johnson and Wales University, were I am studying culinary arts. Currently I am a freshman there, and the recipes are ones I made throughout my classes. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Potato Pancakes

A snack that everyone enjoys. These went the quickest when made in class because everyone wanted one. Simple to make and delicious to eat.

Ingredients:
              3 pounds potatoes peeled
              6 ounces onions peeled and grated
              4 1/2 ounces flour
              6 eggs
              1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
              salt to taste
              pepper to taste
              Oil as needed

1. Gather all ingredients and equipment

2. Finely grate the peeled potatoes into a bowl of cold water

3. Grate the onion and store aside

4. Lift the grated potatoes into a strainer. Carefully drain off the water, but do not pour out the potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Return drained potatoes to bowl with the starch

5. Add all other ingredients, except the oil. Blend well. In a large sautoir, heat 1/4 inch of oil to 350 degrees F

6. Using a 2 ounce scoop, make a mound of the mixture in the frying pan, and flatten to 1/3 inch pancake. Work quickly so that the pancakes will cook at the same rate

7. Fry on both sides to a golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack or absorbent paper to drain. Serve immediately, or hold uncovered at 136 degree F or higher

No comments:

Post a Comment