Background

Hello everyone! My name is Harry, the creator of this blog. I started this blog in high school my senior year during one of my culinary classes. All the recipes dating before September 2013 are from my high school culinary classes. All of those recipes I changed around both the ingredients, adding and removing some, and amounts, increasing or decreasing, to make them my own recipe. Most of the pictures are of the dishes I made, some I forgot to take a picture of and are pictures from online that resemble the dish. Recipes that date from September 2013 onward are from my time at Johnson and Wales University, were I am studying culinary arts. Currently I am a freshman there, and the recipes are ones I made throughout my classes. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Polenta with Tomato and Fontina Cheese

This dish is a great side dish for any meal. The polenta taste amazing and is topped with a delicious tomato cheese topping that ties the flavors together.

Ingredients:
              2 quarts white chicken stock
              Salt to taste
              Black pepper to taste
              8 ounces butter
              24 ounces corn meal
              2 cups tomato concasse
              1 1/2 ounces olive oil
              1/2 ounce Parsley, washed, stemmed, squeezed dry, chopped
              4 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
              6-8 ounces heavy cream (optional) (our picture is with using heavy cream)

1. Gather all ingredients and equipment

2. Preheat oven to 350

3. In a saucepan, combine the stock, salt, pepper and butter. Heat to a boil

4. Slowly pour the cornmeal into the boiling stock, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until polenta is very thick. Stir constantly to prevent the bottom from sticking

5. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Spread the cooked polenta onto a plastic-or parchment lined sheet pan, 1/2-3/4 thick. Cool to 40 degrees or lower. When totally cooled, cut into desired shapes for service.

6. Combine tomato concasse, olive oil and parsley; season to taste with the salt and pepper

7. For service , arrange the polenta pieces on parchment-lined trays, and sprinkle with fontina. Top each with a bit of the seasoned concasse , and place in the oven. Bake until the polenta reaches 165 or is hot throughout. Hold briefly at 136 or higher.
Chef’s Notes:
If shapes are not wanted, pour seasoned, cooled polenta into a greased 1⁄2 hotel pan, top with cheese and bake until brown.
Tomato can be used as a garnish.
Heavy cream can be added with the stock. 


No comments:

Post a Comment