Background

Hello everyone! My name is Harry, the creator of this blog. I started this blog in high school my senior year during one of my culinary classes. All the recipes dating before September 2013 are from my high school culinary classes. All of those recipes I changed around both the ingredients, adding and removing some, and amounts, increasing or decreasing, to make them my own recipe. Most of the pictures are of the dishes I made, some I forgot to take a picture of and are pictures from online that resemble the dish. Recipes that date from September 2013 onward are from my time at Johnson and Wales University, were I am studying culinary arts. Currently I am a freshman there, and the recipes are ones I made throughout my classes. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Sicilian Braciole

This rolled up dish is packed full of flavors all wrapped up in a seasoned piece of meat. What better way to enjoy your favorite seasonings and herbs then wrapped up in meat for a flavorful meal. Everyone will like this creative dish.

Ingredients:
             2, 2-pound Beef Flanks, whole
             Salt to taste
             Pepper to taste
             3 Garlic Cloves, fresh, peeled, minced
             1 cup Parmesan Cheese
             1/4 cup Basil Leaves, fresh, chiffonade
             2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes, crushed
             20 ounces Spinach leaves, fresh, stems removed, blanched
             Olive Oil as needed
             Flour as needed
             1 Garlic Bulb, whole, not peeled, 1/4 inch of stem cut off
             3/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
             8 ounces Tomato Paste
             1 quart Chicken Stock
             1 teaspoon Sugar
             3 pounds Tomatoes, whole, canned with juice, pureed

1. Gather all the ingredients and equipment

2. Trim and butterfly the flank steaks lengthwise, "book style" leaving the center 1 inch connected

3. Lightly pound meat between plastic wrap and season with salt and pepper. Uniformly sprinkle each opened flank steak evenly with minced garlic, parmesan cheese, basil and half of the red pepper flakes

4. Completely cover each flank with a single layer of spinach leaves

5. Tightly roll the flank steaks widthwise, forming two long cigar shaped logs. Tie each with butchers string. Season with salt and pepper

6. Heat a large braising pan with olive oil over medium to high heat. Lightly dredge meat in flour, shake off excess

7. Add the garlic bulb, cut side down to the pan, and slowly sear flank steak rolls until well browned on all sides. Do not let garlic burn

8. When searing is complete, deglaze the pot with the red wine vinegar

9. Add the tomato paste, chicken stock, sugar, and the other half of the red pepper flakes, stirring together thoroughly. Bring to a low boil. Taste for seasoning

10. Add tomatoes as you crush them by hand and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to maintain a slow simmer

11. Place meat back in the pot. Cover and cook in the oven for about an hour and a half or until fork tender

No comments:

Post a Comment