Background

Hello everyone! My name is Harry, the creator of this blog. I started this blog in high school my senior year during one of my culinary classes. All the recipes dating before September 2013 are from my high school culinary classes. All of those recipes I changed around both the ingredients, adding and removing some, and amounts, increasing or decreasing, to make them my own recipe. Most of the pictures are of the dishes I made, some I forgot to take a picture of and are pictures from online that resemble the dish. Recipes that date from September 2013 onward are from my time at Johnson and Wales University, were I am studying culinary arts. Currently I am a freshman there, and the recipes are ones I made throughout my classes. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Braised Red Cabbage

This dish is both healthy and delicious. Braising the cabbage allows for the flavors of all the other ingredients to be brought out in the taste of the final dish. It cooks the cabbage to perfection and blends everything together perfectly. 

Ingredients: 
             Duck fat 4 ounces 
             1 small Onion, peeled, diced brunoise
             1 ounce Red Wine Vinegar
             8 ounces Apple Cider
             4 ounces White Wine
             3 ounces Sugar
             4 pounds Cabbage, core removed, cut chiffonade
            10 ounces Granny Smith Apples, washed, peeled, grated
             Salt to taste
             Pepper to taste
            
1. Gather all the ingredients and equipment.

2. Heat the duck fat in a braising pan over medium heat.

3. Add the onions and sauté until lightly caramelized.

4.Add the red wine vinegar, cider, wine, and sugar, and simmer briefly to melt sugar.

5.Add the red cabbage and the apples; toss well to coat.

6.Cover, and braise over medium heat until tender, about 1 hour. Stir frequently until cabbage starts to sweat. Uncover pan to allow the moisture to reduce as the cabbage becomes tender.

7. Season with salt and pepper as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment