Background

Hello everyone! My name is Harry, the creator of this blog. I started this blog in high school my senior year during one of my culinary classes. All the recipes dating before September 2013 are from my high school culinary classes. All of those recipes I changed around both the ingredients, adding and removing some, and amounts, increasing or decreasing, to make them my own recipe. Most of the pictures are of the dishes I made, some I forgot to take a picture of and are pictures from online that resemble the dish. Recipes that date from September 2013 onward are from my time at Johnson and Wales University, were I am studying culinary arts. Currently I am a freshman there, and the recipes are ones I made throughout my classes. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Chicken with Red Wine (Coq Au Vin)

This dish is cooked perfectly with a great taste and a touch of flambé. A lot of different seasonings and herbs that braise together with the seared chicken make for a concoction that looks and taste great.

Ingredients:
              5 pounds Chicken, leg quarters
              3/4 pound Bacon Slab, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
              2 ounces Clarified Butter
              Oil as needed
              30 Pearl Onions, fresh, peeled
              1 1/2 pounds Cremini Mushrooms cut in half or quarters, depending on the size
              Salt to taste
              Pepper to taste
              6 ounces Brandy
              2 ounces Flour
              2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
              3 cups Red Burgundy Wine
              2 cups Chicken Stock
              5 Garlic Cloves, peeled, minced
              1 Bouqet Garni
              1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
             
1. Gather all the ingredients and equipment.

2. Cook the bacon in the butter in a braising pan until browned but not totally crisp. Remove and reserve.

3. Add the onions to the pan and sauté over medium-high heat until golden. Remove and add to the reserved bacon. Add the mushrooms to the hot pan and sauté until brown. Mix in with bacon and onions.

4. In the same pan, heat vegetable oil and sear seasoned chicken pieces over medium high heat. Pour the Brandy over the chicken and flambé. Remove chicken pieces and set aside.

5. Add the garlic and nutmeg. Then, singer the pan with 2 ounces of flour. Blend in the tomato paste.
Slowly add the wine and the chicken stock until smooth, bring to a boil. Add the bouquet garni.

6. When chicken is just tender, remove from sauce and keep warm. Skim off any excess fat and thicken liquid with 1 to 2 ounces of beurre manié if too thin. Add the reserved bacon, mushrooms and onions. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes more until onions are tender.

7. Return chicken and simmer in sauce for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.

8. Serve immediately or hold at 135°F (57°C) or higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment