Background

Hello everyone! My name is Harry, the creator of this blog. I started this blog in high school my senior year during one of my culinary classes. All the recipes dating before September 2013 are from my high school culinary classes. All of those recipes I changed around both the ingredients, adding and removing some, and amounts, increasing or decreasing, to make them my own recipe. Most of the pictures are of the dishes I made, some I forgot to take a picture of and are pictures from online that resemble the dish. Recipes that date from September 2013 onward are from my time at Johnson and Wales University, were I am studying culinary arts. Currently I am a freshman there, and the recipes are ones I made throughout my classes. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Greek-Style Layered Squash and Potatoes

If you want want a change of pace from a typical lasagna then dish could be a good substitute. Or it could accompany a lasagna dish because of the similar layered pattern. Overall this dish is delicious and goes good by itself or with anything you choose. 

Ingredients:
              5 ounces Olive Oil
              2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, small, peeled, sliced 1/3 inch thick
              Salt to taste
              Pepper to taste
              6 Garlic Cloves, peeled, chopped
              1 rounded cup, Mint Leaves, fresh, chopped
              1-1/2 pounds Plum Tomatoes, concasse
              2 pounds Zucchini, skin on, sliced 1/3 inch thick

1. Gather all the ingredients and equipment.

2. In a large sauté pan, heat 2 ounces (60 milliliters) of oil until warm. In batches, cook potatoes in olive oil over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle with some of the garlic and some of the mint. Cover pan and cook on medium-low heat for 8 minutes until partially cooked.

3. To assemble: Arrange the potatoes in the bottom of a half hotel pan, spread half of the tomatoes over the potatoes and sprinkle more garlic and mint, season lightly with salt. Next, layer on the zucchini, sprinkle with salt and pepper, remaining garlic and more mint. Top with remaining tomatoes. Pour the remaining olive oil over the top of everything.

4. Cover the pan with foil and cook in a 350°F (177°C) to 375°F (190°C) oven until all the vegetables are tender and flavors have melded together, about 30 to 40 minutes. Check the moisture level occasionally to keep everything moist, but not soupy. Allow extra liquid to evaporate towards the end of the cooking time, if necessary.

5. Serve warm or hold hot at 135°F (57°C) or above.

No comments:

Post a Comment