Background

Hello everyone! My name is Harry, the creator of this blog. I started this blog in high school my senior year during one of my culinary classes. All the recipes dating before September 2013 are from my high school culinary classes. All of those recipes I changed around both the ingredients, adding and removing some, and amounts, increasing or decreasing, to make them my own recipe. Most of the pictures are of the dishes I made, some I forgot to take a picture of and are pictures from online that resemble the dish. Recipes that date from September 2013 onward are from my time at Johnson and Wales University, were I am studying culinary arts. Currently I am a freshman there, and the recipes are ones I made throughout my classes. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Old Fashioned Beef Stew

This is a simpler style beef stew that brings in a great taste. A simple mirepoix of onions, celery, and carrots with some seasonings and herbs brings in a delicious stew that the whole family can enjoy.

Ingredients:
             Oil as needed
             2 1/2 pounds Beef, chuck, cut into 1 inch pieces
             Salt to taste
             Pepper to taste
             1/2 pound onions
             6 ounces Carrots, washed, peeled, cut parmentier (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2)
             6 ounces Celery, washed, trimmed, cut parmentier
             1 pint tomatoes, canned, crushed
             5 cups brown sauce (demi-glace)
             Brown Beef Stock as needed
             1/2 teaspoon Thyme Leaves, dried
             1 Bay Leaf
             5 Potatoes, washed, peeled, cut parmentier
             4 ounces Mushrooms, cleaned, sliced
             3 ounces Peas, frozen
             1/3 cup Parsley, fresh, chopped

1. Gather all the ingredients and equipment

2. Heat a thin layer of oil in a braising pan until smoking. Season beef with salt and pepper, and sear the beef until well browned on all sides. Do not crowd the pan

3. Remove the meat and reserve. In same pan, sweat the onions until they are translucent, and then add the carrots and celery. Add the thyme and bay leaf; cook for a minute

4. Add the crushed tomatoes, brown sauce, and brown beef stock. Bring to a boil, and depouilage if necessary

5. Add the meat back to the pan. Then, allow stew to simmer gently until the meat is fork-tender, approximately 1 1/2 hours; depouillage as necessary

6. In the meantime, place the potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with cold, salted water. Bring to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are almost tender. Strain and shock. When stew is all cooked, add the potatoes and finish cooking them in the stew to allow for flavor absorption

7. Heat an appropriate amount of clarified butter in a sauté pan, and sauté the mushrooms. Add mushrooms to stew

8. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Just before service sprinkle in parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment