Background

Hello everyone! My name is Harry, the creator of this blog. I started this blog in high school my senior year during one of my culinary classes. All the recipes dating before September 2013 are from my high school culinary classes. All of those recipes I changed around both the ingredients, adding and removing some, and amounts, increasing or decreasing, to make them my own recipe. Most of the pictures are of the dishes I made, some I forgot to take a picture of and are pictures from online that resemble the dish. Recipes that date from September 2013 onward are from my time at Johnson and Wales University, were I am studying culinary arts. Currently I am a freshman there, and the recipes are ones I made throughout my classes. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Steamed Broccoli with Roasted Beets and an Orange-Dried Cranberry Gastrique

There are no amounts because this recipe is made to taste. Use what you want but know that it will make a perfect sauce gastrique that compliments many vegetable dishes and some meat dishes.

Ingredients:
              Olive Oil
              Baby Beets, washed
              Broccoli, washed and cut into florets
              Shallots, sliced thin
              Orange Juice 
              Balsamic Vinegar
              Maple Syrup
              Dried Cranberries
              Salt
              Pepper

1. Toss the whole beets with olive oil and salt and pepper. Wrap them in tin foil and roast in a 375 degree oven until soft and sweet (aprx 40 minutes)

2. Remove the beets from the oven, allow to cool, peel and cut into quarters or sixths, depending on the size

3. Place the shallots, orange juice, vinegar, maple syrup and cranberries into a small sauce pan. Reduce over medium heat until the mixtures begin to thicken

4. Pan steam the broccoli until slightly tender but still bright green

5. Toss the beats with gastrique, also drizzle a small amount over the broccoli, season both with salt and pepper

6. Plate the beets and broccoli together, be careful not to stain the broccoli with the beets

No comments:

Post a Comment